On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> [this email was prompted by a private communication relating to the
> OOo brand and calling for mentors to take action. I think it is
> important so I've stripped the original mail and brought it public for
> discussion]
>
> As a mentor let me make it clear that it is not the mentors (or the
> foundations)  responsibility to protect the visibility and credibility
> of the OpenOffice.org brand. It is the collective responsibility of
> the community.
>
> If someone is concerned about the lack of communication about the
> OpenOffice.org project then get writing blog posts, get tweeting, get
> to speaking events, get down and dirty helping move the code here and
> building the first release. Get doing whatever it is you can do,
>
> I'm not concerned about a petty deletion of a link in a public wiki.
> I'm more concerned about getting more people to do what a handful of
> community members (both active and lurking) were doing at
> TransferSummit and BarCampApacheOxford last week.
>
> So, as a mentor I want to ask what the community would like to do in
> order to protect the visibility and credibility of the OpenOffice.org
> brand.
>
> 1. work on the code (IP clearance) to make an Apache conform binary release
possible as soon as possible
2. in parallel continue the migration of more or less necessary
infrastructure (wiki, forum, website, ...) to show that the project is going
on
3. once we have an Apache release available, the community can start to
promote this release and can continue with what they have done in the past
-> promote it, recommend it, provide support for it, report bugs, create
documentation, ...
4. represent the Apache OO project on Apache conferences as well as other
important conferences
5. make the product stable and increase the quality -> stability and quality
is a key element to make it attractive for professional usage in enterprise,
public offices, ...
6. plan for the future, identify gaps and areas where the product should be
improved.

Besides all areas where the community can be active, the most important
thing is to provide a stable and good product that people can easy use
without problems and that is sufficient for their daily work and that can
solve their daily problems.

The brand is still there and we need again a product behind the name and the
brand. And hopefully a growing and working eco system can be established
around this product.

Juergen