On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to gauge the interest in including Groovy [1] as a scripting
> language.
>
> For those not familiar, Groovy is a dynamic language for the JVM that
> includes features like closures, builders, and dynamic typing.
>
> There is currently a Groovy For OpenOffice extension [2] for this available
> under LGPL. I have contacted the author regarding additionally licensing the
> extension as Apache and he would be willing to do that to include it.

Are you thinking of this as being integrated into the install the
released AOOo?  Or as an extension that we maintain in the Apache
project and allow users to download post-install?

Is the author thinking of joining the project as well?

Does it have any 3rd party dependencies that are not ALv2 (or compatible)?

> Groovy itself is under the Apache 2.0 so I thought it may be a good fit.

As far as I can tell (and I may be wrong) the way to think of it is like this:

1) When we use a binary in the project (a 3rd party library) then
having it be ALv2 or compatible is what we want.

2) When we include 3rd party source in the project, then ALv2 is also
required, but we might have additional requirements, e.g.

-- small contributions, in the nature of bug fixes and similar
patches, nothing more required

-- non-trivial code contributions made to the project -- a signed iCLA

-- contribution of existing OSS projects -- signed SGA

> I am willing to work on this if there is interest.

Thanks for looking into this.

-Rob