I WENT TOO FAR.  (I am changing the thread because a lot of this is not
relevant to IP review. I think the conclusion C is all that matters with regard
to copyright and copyright-based licenses.)

My comment about binaries is completely off the mark.  Ever since software was
made copyrightable subject matter by statute (i.e., the 1976 Copyright Act),
there have been special provisions concerning software with regard to the
exclusive rights that authors enjoy. First, copyright does extend to
executables and binaries, even though they are not meant to be readable by
humans, and some of the provisions limit the exclusive rights.  (E.g., backups
are permitted, and there is business about the ephemeral copy that exists in
order to execute software.)  I don't know that this applies to any software for
which there is no source code, but that need not bother us here.

In the exchange with Norbert, there remains the question of license conditions
that originate exclusively through the exclusive rights of copyright holders
and the license conditions that may arise in some other manner.

A.  Exercise and Licensing of Exclusive Rights under Copyright
 1. Let us assume that there is some construction by which a source program,
which is exclusively my original authorship and bearing my copyright and
license notice is processed by something that introduces material that is not
subject to my copyright but is subject to the copyright of some other.  Let us
also assume, that, somehow, the processor that spits out this derivative
affixes notices on behalf of *its* authors.  (This would be like a preprocessor
adding notices and license statements.)  So the intermediate work and any
further conversion of that into a delivered software program (e.g., directly or
in binary form) has this mixed licensing situation, and presumably the terms of
all of those licenses have to be satisfied.  Let's just accept that.

 2. The next question, in the case of my work being open-source, is whether or
not the various licenses are all qualified and satisfiable in accord with the
Open Source Definition.

 3. The next question for us is whether or not the various licenses are
compatible with the ALv2 (and for the latest releases of OpenOffice.org so far,
LGPL3).
    Note that for input to Bison, the license is whatever the author of the
input says it is.
    For output from Bison, the potential of additional license conditions and
possible conflict is determined by notices that are included in the output from
Bison, the parser implementation file.
One has to know that by examining the file for notices and "special exception"
information.
    I assume that Berkeley YACC doesn't have these problems, and as long as no
special features of
Bison are involved, Berkeley YACC can be substituted.

B. Another wrinkle
I don't think this is applicable to any situation in hand, but one problem with
(A.1) is that it can't have the effect of achieving a patent by use of
copyright.  (There are other US-specific pre-emptions too, but I doubt that
there is a free-speech issue at hand.)

C. What to do if the copyright and license conditions injected into the
intermediate product are
unacceptable?  Don't worry about it being a valid declaration.  Get rid of the
dependency.

 - Dennis