> Graham Lauder wrote on Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 07:02:17 +1300:
> > On Sunday, October 02, 2011 05:16:15 AM Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> > > These announcements to a list are interesting, because it is not clear
> > > who will take the initiative to see that this happens.
> > >
> > > Last month, I waited too long before declaring what I would be doing
> > > and then doing it.
> > >
> > > This month, I won't be tardy.  I am declaring that I shall not be
> > > preparing the quarterly podling report for October.
> > >
> > >  - Dennis
> >
> > I'll have time this month to deal with this.  It is a marketing task in
> > any case.
>
> Reporting to the board isn't about marketing, it is about the board's
> oversight over the foundation it is the board of.  I don't think you
> wuold include community friction issues in marketing materials, but
> a PMC chair must report them to the board if they exist.

I  will respectively disagree. Marketing is about communication.  Marketing is
not simply external facing, especially in an opensource project.

 Any good marketing team should and will identify challenges and weaknesses.
Highlighting and communicating those to the appropriate stakeholders it's just
part of the job as is gathering that information.

Community friction issues are one of those challenges that is often present in
an opensource project, so it is definitely something that should be
communicated.  The board is the stakeholder that this needs to be communicated
to.

Marketing is not simply about pr, spin and glossy pamphlets.

Cheers
GL