On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Andreas Säger <ville...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 10.10.2011 22:24, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a good example of a really slow spreadsheet document?
>> Preferably ones that was slow due to computation/calculation, and one
>> that is not merely slow due to size alone.
>>

> Database surrogate (complete madness in millions of xls files):
> X1 =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(value;range;2;0)));"";VLOOKUP(value;range;2;0))
> Y1 =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(value;range;3;0)));"";VLOOKUP(value;range;3;0))
> Z1 =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(value;range;4;0)));"";VLOOKUP(value;range;4;0))
> Performs 3 lookups at least. If the test for error is negative then it
> performs 6 lookups to find the exact same row.

So we don't cache the partial evaluations internally?

> Objects overkill:
>>
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44259
>

> This one does not even have any data nor formulas:
> File>New>Spreadsheet
> Ctrl+Space (select entire column)
> Shift+<right arrow> x4 (expand 4 columns to the right)
> Format>AutoFormat...
> Choose "Yellow", [OK]
> Get a cup of tea.
> killall soffice.bin

Extremely large sheets are a problem.  Remember this file?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/openofficeorg-20-is-here-but-is-it-a-pig/119

The issue is users are so comfortable with spreadsheets that they use
them for problems that are better handled in a database.  We're cursed
by the success of the spreadsheet interface.

I did some optimizations of that particular case a while back,
focusing on optimizing the markup we write out.  I'll see if I can
find it.

But thanks for the examples.  Very useful.