On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The question that Simon is asking is simple.  Some have read the "best
> wishes to TDF and LibreOffice" as being sarcastic and mean spirited.  I
> certainly didn't read it that way.  The issue seems to be that the paragraph
> expressing this wish was within the flow of a different story about people
> not giving AOOo its due.
>
> All that he was asking was for an official clarification that you were being
> sincere and not sarcastic because of course sarcasm isn't going to help the
> politics.  I assume the blog was on the up and up and am representing it as
> such.  Hope you can clarify..."

Apache believes in Software Darwinism.

A key meta-goal for Software Darwinists is to foster a richer and
deeper ecosystem: more players, more ideas, more disruptive
creativity. That's why the Apache License allows and encourages
downstream consumers to create interesting new products with diverse
licenses and business models. Confidence in the efficiency of our open
development model means we're comfortable with encouraging
competition. (Apache even goes so far as hosting competing projects.)

So, of course we are sincere in welcoming and celebrating innovation
by other players in the space :-)

Robert