On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> These are my personal observations and I will report them to the Forum
> Administrators also.  Any of the Forum operators can chime in here.
>
> There is not a formal vote that I can see.  There was a poll that ended up
> 63% in favor, 37% opposed on the English Language forums, and I understand
> that there were wild variances on some of the other NL forums, including
> nobody in favor in one case.
>
> The reality seems to be that the move is accepted as happening.  It comes
> down to knowing what Forum operators will stick around, which ones will
> declare themselves interested in the iCLA -> committer -> PPMC progression,
> etc.

The move either happens or it doesn't.  We can't migrate it 63%. Is it
worth making the plan explicit, e.g:

We're going to migrate the lists now, since the Oracle servers are
going down on Friday. All existing moderators/admins are welcome to
continue participation.  Those who chose not to continue will be
replaced immediately after the move per the Forum's existing
mechanisms for choosing admins and moderators.

> I doubt that the picture will be completely clear until the move is
> accomplished and folks can raise their heads after the current emergency.

Well, one reason it is an emergency is we wasted almost a week in an
unnecessary show vote that ultimately brought no additional clarity.
Let's hope there is still time to make a clean transition and avoid
outage for the users.

> Meanwhile, I have asked the Forum Operators to please identify who is raising
> their hands to take the Apache plunge.  I've also asked *them* who on the
> PPMC is already known there that could be useful as Apache Observers (if not
> already among the Forum operators).  This would be to serve as consultants to
> them and especially help communicate/build-bridges/support with the Native
> Language forums and those operators, I think.
>
> It might be good to find out who here on the PPMC has interest in being
> Apache Observers: Forum registrants who have access to the administrative
> sections and can also post there, but not take administrative actions.  (This
> is separate from current PPMC members who are already among the Forum
> Operators and have whatever privileges come with that.)
>
> This would relax the need for them to rush everything through at once while
> having someone "on site" to observe the Forums and their orderly operation.
> This could satisfy the PPMC that there is adequate oversight in these early
> days, even if only on an interim/transitional basis.

My main concern is that we don't have any forum that has no one there
helping users, removing spam, etc.  When will we know if that is the
case?