On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/2011 2:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Have the "new" NL lists been setup already? I may have missed that and I
>>> haven't look at any jira tix.
>>>
>> No NL lists yet, except for Japanese.  We need moderator volunteers
>> before we can request them.
>>
>> Process for getting a new mailing list created is here:

>> Probably makes sense to start with the largest NL communities first?
>
> Have we considered having a list for 'un-represented languages'?
> If a user does not find their language, where do they go?  Posting to the
> English list or ooo-dev in another language is frowned on.
> This is a bootstrapping question.
> Where can a community go to say that they exist, have a need, and would like
> to create a list.

There are some words of wisdom in the Committer's FAQ [1] regarding user lists:

"WARNING: the creation of a user mail list can be a very dangerous
thing for a community if the developers don't pay attention to their
users and if users don't have developers that reply to their emails.
Sure, active developers should expect a well behaving user community
to reply to one another for simple questions, but this doesn't happen
overnight and the creation of a user mail list alone can turn into a
very harmful change."

So I think we would want to consider on each request whether we have
sufficient interest to have a self-supporting user support community.
Having an existing committer who speaks the language is great.  Having
a number of power users is also good.  But having users asking
questions and getting no answers --- that would reflect poorly on the
project.

That said, I have absolutely no idea how would determine this for a
new list.  For existing lists I think we can look at the archives and
see how much traffic they are getting, whether questions are being
answered, etc.  But if someone requests a Klingon list, how do we know
if there is a sufficient community behind it?

As for where to ask, I think that is ooo-dev by default, and the
request would need to be made in English or some other language that
we can figure out how to translate.

I think that would be ooo-dev, in a language that

ooo-dev is essentially the central list for the project, in terms of
announcements, posting project-wide proposals, etc.