Rob Weir wrote:
So what systems do you think might be sending a lot of emails at once
to openoffice.org email addresses?
1) Legacy OpenOffice.org mailing lists
2) Bugzilla?
Any others?

I think Bugzilla is the one more likely to send mass e-mails to openoffice.org addresses; I've seen that now Bugzilla e-mails come from a no-reply address, so the bounce messages would probably bounce back, but I'm sure system administrators are savvy enough to do the right thing.

Mailing lists shouldn't be very problematic since a fraction of users use their openoffice.org address for mailing lists, and many of them do it because thay are involved with the project, so they are likely to be informed. However, it would be very annoying that everybody sending a mail to a mailing lists receives a bounce message back; but, again, this can probably be handled when the bounce mechanism is configured.

Extensions and templates should be considered too: right now, authentication on both sites relies on openoffice.org addresses, see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Extensions+and+templates
The system might thus store the openoffice.org forwarder as the extension publisher's e-mail, so it might happen (I can't check it) that if the openoffice.org e-mail forwarders are shut down, then it becomes impossible to contact publishers of any extensions/templates. Whatever the destiny of the extensions/templates sites will be, it would be important to keep the possibility to contact all of their users (i.e., extensions/templates publishers) at due time.

Regards,
  Andrea.