On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arie...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 07:41:35PM +0100, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > Just to clarify. Mechtilde is a contributor since day 0 - 7 years.
> > She is one of the moast experienced QA here, and a verry skilled
> > manual tester. So she is not a newbe at all.
> >
> > I build only for mac, for linux i point to the Buildbot too. If this
> > builds don't work for a Linux distribution it is a serios problem,
> > so it's right to bring it on the list.
> >
> > What Mechtilde miss, are de frequently snapshots from the project it
> > self, not from same contributors. The test build should be from the
> > same mashine as the final release. You can build AOO on two
> > computers with Linux, you will have two different builds even you
> > use the same revision.
> >
> > For this reason, test builds has to come from the same mashin as the
> > release. For my point of view it's not a good idea to use a
> > contributors computer for it. So the main plattform Wendows, Linux,
> > Mac realy need a Buildbot, and this is not a "nice to have" it's a
> > *realy urgent task*
> >
> > And if one of this Buildbot produce unusable builds, then we have a
> > serios problem.
>
> Those build are unusable due to the EPM version, a subject that has been
> discussed since the epm removal, so I have no idea why the buildboot
> ended with a system epm.
>
> IMO the Linux build boot should produce also RPM packages, not only
> DEBs. And nightly builds are useful for keeping the code base buildable,
> but for testing purposes it would be more useful a weekly developer
> snapshot.

+1

I'm not sure its worth anyone's time to try to do distro-specific builds.
If we can get out RPM and Deb packaging, that would be great!

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

MzK

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
 with strange cats."
                                                  -- *Colonial American
proverb*