On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 05:04:18PM -0300, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
The code is in main/extensions/source/update/
rather illuminating
main/extensions/source/update/check/updateprotocol.cxx

The format is xml, you can see main/instsetoo_native/util/update.xml

it seems to support also an update feed format:
http://openoffice.org/projects/installation/sources/webcontent/show/testarea/onlineupdate

There should be an specification somewhere, but the old site
http://specs.openoffice.org has become rather broken after the
migration.

I would expect that it is similar to the xml format for the extensions. I have never looked in detail in it, I have only noticed the Url in openoffice.lst when I have changed some others.

I think the update service is a very useful one and we should try to reestablish this service. Ok many users don't like such "call home" features but that's the reason why it is configurable.

Juergen