Am Freitag, 27. Januar 2012 schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile <
arie...@apache.org>:
> Hi Andrea, Regina, *,
>

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:05:13AM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 27/01/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> >the information must be out there, we just have to research, and study
>> >the code. An example searching the wiki:
>> >http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
>> >IMO we are far from being out of luck :)
>>
>> We've already discussed that page, but at first glance it seems the
>> specification of a further version of the update protocol, and I'm
>> not sure it was ever implemented.
>
> this is actually implemented.
> I pointed OOO320m18 (Build:9502) to
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.feed
>
> and I got
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/update_success.png
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/update_download.png
>

>> However, what the service does is merely serving a "Yes" (updates
>> available) or "No", so, as elaborate as it can be, it shouldn't be
>> impossible to replicate it in a way that always answers "No" until
>> Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is out and always answers "Yes" when Apache
>> OpenOffice 3.4 is available (Apache OpenOffice 3.4 can point to
>> another URL, so it won't happen that people already using Apache
>> OpenOffice 3.4 get erroneous messages about available updates).
>

> a dummy
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> will indicate every OOo version that it is up-to-date (we may not want
> this - an OOo 3.2 will not be seen as un update to an OOo 3.1, for
> example).
>
> Unfortunately I cannot test how this is implemented because the feature
> depends on functionality removed in the IP clearance (libneon), and
> I don't have a pre-ip-clearance build to test.

We are working on the replacement for neon with libserf. It's the last big
missing feature for IP clearance. We have to reimplement the UCP and have
to integrate 3 libs (apr, apr-util and serf) in our buil env. It's mainly
Oliver and Andre who are working on this right now.

If the update feature is based on the http/WebDAV UCP, we can probably test
it soon.

But anyway great job to all of you who analyzed the feature so far. It's of
big help to move forward.

Juergen