On 2/3/2012 16:37, Andrew Rist wrote:
<snip snip>

On 2/2/2012 4:50 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
On 2012-02-01 9:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
1) Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org source code and trademarks
to Apache

Really? I thought Oracle granted a license of most of the
OpenOffice.org source code to Apache, not all of it. If they had
granted a license of all the source code, we'd probably be about a
month further along in the schedule, maybe? But we've done amazing
work filling in the pieces and making the current Apache OpenOffice
releases work while ensuring we only use permissively licensed code.
Hey Shane - probably just an issue with wording, but just want to add
this to the discussion...
Oracle granted a license to the stuff that Oracle had clear copyright
ownership on. I don't think there is anything owned by Oracle that was
not donated - especially nothing that is pushing the schedule back at
this point.
There are a lot of non-Sun/Oracle code used by the project (some of it
copyleft) - obviously this could not be 'donated' by Oracle.
It is the remediation of this code that has been the source of the last
few months of work - mostly copyleft dependencies and 'extensions' (I'm
thinking dictionaries and the like here)

A.

Andrew,

The only code I know of that got lost is the crash-dump analysis code (Jürgen is the expert on it). It is a bee in my bonnet, because I consider it indispensable for certain kinds of problems. It was Sun-proprietary code, run in Hamburg.

IMHO, its reincarnation would be worth considerable effort.

--
/tj/