Am 14.02.2012 23:13, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Jürgen Lange<j...@juergen-lange.de>  wrote:
Am 14.02.2012 20:04, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2w...@comcast.net>
  wrote:
On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:

       Hi Wolf and Dave,

On 14.02.2012 17:23, Wolf Halton wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Armin Le Grand<armin.le.gr...@me.com>
    wrote:
[..]
Hi Armin,
Now I understand.  You're right, It should say Apache OpenOffice,
since that ended up being the name we chose.  I went and looked at the
Hadoop site http://hadoop.apache.org/ where the Apache part of the
name is prominent.  Drew made up the logo currently there, I believe.
Just changing the logo and maybe a couple of additions to the name in
a few text blocks would be good.
Thanks for clarification, and sorry, I just re-checked and indeed I did
not mention that I wanted it to be 'Apache OpenOffice'. Sigh. I'll try to be
more clear next time.

I cannot remember all of that discussion when to change the branding,
but wouldn't people be surprised when we publish an 'Apache OpenOffice 3.4'
and they expected an 'OpenOffice.org 3.4' due to the naming conventions on
the web pages...? Also we already changed the logos in the program and the
installers, AFAIK.
We have changed the source code. We have changed the graphics - although
more are coming. We may have developer builds.

We do not have an AOO release. The download button on www.openoffice.org
provides the user with OpenOffice.org 3.3.

IMO we should wait to change the logo until we have the release. If the
consensus is to change now then I think that both the main landing page and
the download pages need some work.

I think we want to start changing in advance of the release.  Why?
Because we want to ensure legacy OOo users are familiar with the new
brand.  Otherwise, when we do release, they'll be confused.  I
understand your point about legacy users being confused if they start
seeing new new brand now.  But that just argues for doing this
intelligently.  It does not argue for not doing it yet.  We need to
communicate the new brand.

So we could have a mini-campaign like "OpenOffice.org is now Apache
OpenOffice".  Blog, announce list, social media, website, etc., do it
two weeks before the release is made, say when we have a solid RC
ready to vote on (probably not our first RC).   Do it along with an
"AOO 3.4 is coming soon" tease.

The plan could be:

(1) Since there is a thread about it. Wait for a final logo treatment
from Drew. If not in the next few days then use the one in the podling site
as a placeholder.

(2) Change the ooo-site header to use the new image. Warning this will be
a "sledgehammer" CMS build, all files are touched.

(3) If we have one, we should add the contact us link / page in the same
commit / build as (2) I think it belongs on the bottom next to "Copyright&
  License".

(4) Rework www.openoffice.org so the buttons are not so big. Kay has
brought this up in another thread.

(5) Rework www.openoffice.org so that the download experience better sets
user expectations.

I'll play with some ideas for (4) and (5) this week.

Regards,
Dave

Wolf

Sincerely,
       Armin
--
ALG

Hi Rob,
I'm using the term Apache Open Office for a couple of weeks now. It's used
in a German blog.
Oh, great.   The alternative plan would be to have a special name for
German users,  We could call it "Lieber OpenOffice"

  ;-)

-Rob

Sincerly, Juergen (another one)
Good joke, Rob, but it sounds to much like "Libre OpenOffice"!
-Juergen