On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Out of curiosity I just did another download of the OOo-dev 3.4 Windows "MSI"
> r1293550 to see if the popularity contest had been won yet.
>
> Not yet.
>
>  The Internet Explorer 9 download warning is
> "OOo-Dev-OOO340m1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe is not commonly downloaded and
> could harm your computer."  The file is already downloaded at that point,
> however.  The options are Delete, Actions, and View downloads (opening a
> separate tool that shows downloads and status).  The Actions option includes
> "Don't run this program (recommended)", "Delete", and "Run Anyway."
>
>  A "Run Anyway" or a later execution of the downloaded .exe will provoke an
> User Account Control message (on default configurations, even for
> administrator accounts) that warns that the file is from an unknown source
> (that is, the .EXE is not signed) and that it was downloaded from the
> Internet.
>
> I also did a custom scan of the single download file using Microsoft Security
> Essentials.  The scan (which is programmed to dig into these files)
> identified 51916 individual items and no threats.
>
> All of this is tolerable and arguably appropriate for developer snapshots.
> Users who use these builds need to rely on their own judgment about the
> trustworthiness of the origin and the content of those files.
>
> Note that it is the .exe that needs to be signed.  This should not be
> confused with a .msi file, although I assume those can be signed also.
> Apache OpenOffice does not use .msi as the packaged binary that is
> downloaded.  (It appears that LibreOffice has changed that.)  It strikes me
> that using external digest values (md5 and sh1 digests) on the download
> requires a super-user skill set and should not be the only thing relied upon
> for project binary releases.

Yes,MSI's can be installed and are required to be signed for some
distribution paths.  Generally you want to sign what you distribute.
Don't expect the I.E. or your anti-virus is going to deflate a 200 MB
archive to see if some EXE inside is signed.  (And then what about the
DLL's?)  We should be signing the whole enchilada.

-Rob