On Mar 16, 2012, at 2:19 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
>> Hi Dave, *,
>>
>> probably one of my last messages on the list since I'll be gone with
>> the forwarder.. (so assume I will not read replies tomorrow/whenever
>> the switch is flipped)

>>> [...]
>>
>> Old OOo pages were xhtml transitional, that is correct. And at least
>> the www.openoffice.org and de.openoffice.org pages were fully valid
>> (according to the w3c validator)
>>
>> CollabNet Enterprise Edition (that was used before Kenai, and after
>> SourceCast (the old name of older version of CollabNet Enterprise
>> Edition that was used even earlier) did as well ignore the doctype and
>> other meta-tags, but merged title and meta tags into the overall
>> templating system.
>> So all pages were delivered as xhtml - of course that didn't make them
>> valid, but that means that they worked for the users and editors with
>> that doctype.
>>
>>> [...]
>>> I think that ssi.mdtext should add a line like:
>>>
>>> doctype:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
>>
>> Please don't turn back the wheel of time. If you want to make a
>> unification, then I suggest you either user xhtml transitional, or
>> make the step to html5 right away as default.
>
> One of XHTML or HTML5 would be fine for me too. XHTML would mean less work,
> but HTML5 likely assures of a good future.

I am happy to report that the site doctype is now html5 and that various minor
issues with the site template were fixed.

I implemented the doctype using an SSI. If necessary any first level folder in
the site can theoretically have a special type. Doing so might cause trouble
with the site template, but ...

Thanks,
Dave