On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll take a look at what Marcus did. It is very easy to just do a "random"
> link based on 3 mirror systems -- ASF, SourceForge, MirrorBrain.

> Yes, this is desirable -- but I think this would involve more server-side
> intelligence or ajax programming instead of simple JS.  I'd need to look
> into it. Maybe beyond my capabilities. :/
>

>> > I would be in favor of a forth option suggested by Andreas in another
>> thread:
>> >
>> > * Route "autoupdater" traffic through one system (MirrorBrain)
>>

> Ah yes...ye olde autoupdater. As of yet, I don't think we have nailed down
> the "format" of the feed document for this. I could be wrong, but I haven't
> seen anything from anyone -- maybe another separate thread on this is in
> order. I tried several approaches to make this actually work, and nothing!
> So, this makes sense but ????? I havent' forgotten about it, I just don't
> know what to do about it. We need very specific details on constructing the
> atom feed and then, of course, constructing it.
>

>> > * Route web based traffic through another (SF as primary, and Apache
>> > mirrors as secondary)
>>
>> Well, that sure looks like to most sane way to go from what I've seen
>> described - seems the cleanest way.
>>
>> //drew
>>

> OK, in summary -- I'll take a look at what Marcus has already done -- and
> get a prototype "simple" random selection DL script out there early on next
> week for additional comments.

It looks like we need to worry about three things: legacy downloads,
AOO 3.4 downloads and OOo 3.3 upgrades.

So how about something like this:

1) Legacy downloads (OOo 3.3.0 and earlier) are distributed only via MirrorBrain

2) AOO 3,4 release goes to SourceForge and Apache for download, with
random selection and a splitting ratio that we can tune in the script.
The script Marcus started is a good start,

This allows us to gain some experience working with all three
networks, see how they perform, get user feedback,etc, before tackling
the upgrades.

Then 3) When we are ready to turn on the automatic updates for
3.3.0->3.4.0, then we make a choice based on what we've learned by
doing 1) and 2).  In other words, don't worry about the update
downloads until later, based on which one appears to have more latent
capacity.

-Rob