On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK, I changed the subject on this since I think what we need to discuss
> > applies to more than just CD-ROMs...I hope  that's OK, see my reply
> below...
> >

> <snip>
>
> So the current state of affairs is:
>
> 1) Anyone is free to distribute OOo or AOO on CD, on their website, on
> USB keys, etc.  We're open source, and the license fully permits this.
>
> 2) Although use of the ASF-owned trademarks is restricted, any one is
> free to send an email to the project and request the use of the logos
> for use on their CD distribution.  We have received and approved
> requests like this in the past.  For example, CD's for distribution at
> conferences.
>
> If we want we can just continue with those two principles and do
> nothing more.   But IMHO there are some subset of redistribution of
> AOO that we might permit the use of the logo without any explicit
> permission.  If we decide to do this, we could specify the conditions
> under which such redistribution might take place.  Note that this is
> not a restriction on what distributors may do.  They always have the
> options given per #1 and #2 above.  The point is merely to provide a
> lighter weight process for doing #2, in a subset of cases that we
> believe are for the public good.
>
> It is an additional question whether we want to maintain a registry or
> directory of such distributors.
>
> I'd be especially interested in what users think of this.  What would
> be their expectations if we maintained such a list?

I can't answer this one and I appreciate your perspective #1.

The immediate thing(s) I'm concerned about is packages that we have
highlighted on the website -- all the "porting" section

 http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

Should this continue. There is no disclaimer here.

Additionally, since we have no link to this from the main download page,
how do folks even find out about it.

Advice needed.

(I will pull the UpUbuntu link from the install instructions later
today...should I add it to "porting"?).

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette