Hi all,

 as you might now SourceForge is serving the vast majority of AOO binaries
downloads, and we provide download stats by country, Operating System,
Browser, and traffic source. Some of you are familiar with our stats pages,
while others use our APIs.

We do have spam detection enabled to identify false-positive traffic like
bots, and I wish to share some insights of what happened recently on this
front.

We noticed that Russia was the highest download country, something that was
hard to explain. The popularity was limited to /localized/ru/3.4.0/
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Win_x86_install_ru.exe

We looked at the raw download logs for that file, and saw a lot of
downloads from user-agent "Download Master".  Apparently it is popular in
Russia, and apparently it starts hundreds of simultaneous downloads at
once.  Our download stats system does have some logic to prevent double
counting this type of traffic, but it didn't exclude all of the duplicate
downloads, so the result was still high.  We've updated our download stats
logic to correct this, and then reprocessed the raw logs from 2012-05-08 to
present, to update the stats.

Beyond bringing our ability to provide reliable stats, I wish to throw some
new ideas about how we can help Apache OpenOffice to grow:

 a. We could provide intelligence on which projects were downloaded with
Open Office within a week.
b. We could cross-merch Apache OpenOffice project with other projects
c. We have community management and Internet Marketing to support the
community

We've already run a 250k impressions campaign through our media channels,
and we plan to run more.
Our community growth hacker and Apache member Rich Bowen has covered Apache
OpenOffice both on feathercast and SourceForge blog, and also here we plan
to do more videos and interviews.

Roberto

--
====