Could you clarify why using the mirror system isn't appropriate? Several
users have told me that the mirror system works fine with the apt
repositories they set up, and it seems to me that using the mirror system
would provide better download availability and performance.

That is, if you hard code to files directly, you'd need to designate a
specific mirror (which we don't recommend), which would mean 1) some users
may be forced to a mirror halfway across the globe, 2) you'll run into
availability issues if the mirror goes down or needs to be taken offline
for some reason, and 3) you miss out on download statistics (which only get
logged if the downloads go through our mirror redirector).

Best Regards,
Chris Tsai
SourceForge Support
sfnet_...@geek.net