On May 29, 2012, at 11:41 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for top posting but I would like to suggest that we come back to Rob's
> initial question.
>
> Simplified:
> Should we start graduation now?

Yes, as long as we understand that the following is an evolving issue
regardless of whether we are a TLP or part of the Incubator. The IPMC will
certainly tell us if it is a blocker to graduation. I don't think it is, but
someone else will differ. The IPMC is as big as this PPMC, there is lots of
room for difference.

> Pedro's concerns are valid. On the other hand the question is what really
> changed when we move the source tarballs to a different place?
>
> I think Rob tried to explain that there is no real difference. And we don't
> include any category-b source in our source release package.
>
> Well I would support both solutions for now but I am in favor to have a long
> term solution to replace category-b libraries where possible as Pedro has
> already pointed out for some libraries.
>
> But we should keep in mind that this changes are not trivial and the work
> have to be done by somebody. We analyzed for example the address book
> replacement and postponed it because it is a huge task and potentially we can
> replace it later by switching to native platform support on the different
> systems...
>
> Some patches for libraries can't be up-streamed because the maintainer is not
> interested in patches that introduce the stlport for example. The problems
> are sometimes very simply. That means we have first to eliminate the stlport
> dependencies and use the compiler stl and can drop further dependencies in a
> second step and can use binary packages directly. I could list more examples
> and I don't think that we ignore this items. We have thought about it very
> careful and have done what was possible in the release time frame.

It might be worth bringing this question to general@i.a.o and pre-flight
opinions. It helped with the release, it can't hurt graduation.

Regards,
Dave