On 6/8/12 8:58 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I'm a little concerned about this idea of AOO being somehow different from
> other Apache projects. Its not, its just software. In Apache projects
> everyone is equal. If someone earns merit they earn merit, it makes no
> difference how that merit is earned.
>
> The issue here should not be a different class of contributor it should be
> how to facilitate a different type of contribution and thus bootstrap their
> involvement in the project. Please don't create an artificial layer of
> hierarchy in order to do that. Hierarchy in an open development project is
> bad.
>
> Note we have a VP who has never written a line of code in their life. As
> far as I'm aware they have never written a translation string or any
> documentation. Despite this there was no need to create a new class of
> community member to bring them into the ASF.
>
> I propose the problem is in the workflow not in the structure of ASF
> projects. If that is the case then we need to examine why non-committer
> translators are unable to contribute efficiently. Find out why our default
> policies say they need to be committees and address that issue.
>
> For example, are contributions to Pootle any different to patches sent via
> JIR# from an IP point of view? If not then there is no need for an ICLA but
> there is a need for an audit trail.

I agree and Rob pointed already out that we have something like that
(what I have proposed) already.

In case of Pootle contributions we simply need an open user registration
to solve the "unknown" issue i some way. Pootle allow us to define
default rights for users and when we define that translation can be seen
or compared with patches it sounds like a good step forward.

My idea was mainly that we think about some formalization of this
special user registration. Independent of registering for bugzilla, the
wiki or Pootle, the user have to agree to contribute everything under ALv2.

Sorry for the confusion

Juergen