KG01 - See comments inline.

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:that the challenge
before us is to find the best possible

> Predictably, I prefer approach I on first principles:
> Never derail the train that's running.
>
> From that perspective, there's all of this:
>  - All of the developers and many testers and others know
>   how to build AOO 3.4.0 including people who are working
>   from the source tarball and the folks working on LibreOffice
>   and other co-dependents as well
>  - the current community includes those who build special
>   distros (of OOo and LO), provide QA that serves all of us,
>   etc.
>  - There is still IP clearance to be done on the Symphony
>   contribution bits and that can be worked through selectively
>   as staging of features/fixes before merging to the SVN trunk.
>  - Alignment of the symphony code can be done off-trunk with
>   merging of selected features and fixes on an iterative basis
>   accompanied by testing of various kinds and localized attention
>   to build breakers and other potential regressions.
>  - There is an abundance of bug reports and analysis based on
>   the current lineage.
>  - All of the documentation, forum contributions, MediaWiki
>   and user lists are currently oriented around the OOo-lineage
>   and they need to be morphed in a progressive way, not a sudden
>   switch.
>  - Users and others may like new features but for many sudden
>   switches are unsettling
>  - Plan II could end up with us having to maintain OOo-lineage releases
>   and Symphony-merged releases concurrently.  That is a frightening
>   prospect.  It is like forking ourselves and maintaining both forks.
>  - Then there's the localizations, etc. that would crash against the
>   forked support, etc.
>
> Dennis

KG01 - While I appreciate that merge/migration presents a host of
challenges and opportunities from an implementation and support
perspective, I'll defer to the community to assess the technical
dimensions. I do, however, have an opinion on the design direction of the
offering moving forward. I don't see one product as better than the other.
Rather, they are different. Each has strengths which could be emulated, and
each have opportunties for improvement. Diversity presents opportunity. If
design is choice, then we have two great products as sources of user
experience design patterns. The best possible user experience would
ultimately be the outcome of migrating and merging the best user experience
elements from each of the offerings into a new code base. Features found in
one offering, but not the other, present migration opportunities. Features
found in both offerings, present an opportunity to merge the user
experience. As Rob noted, our challenge is to determine how we choose the
best user experience, then establish a roadmap to deliver the best user
experience possible for our users. The AOO UX wiki [1] contains a user
experience-oriented assessment of the Symphony contribution. Visit the AOO
UX wiki to learn more about UX migration/merge candidates, and review key
feature analysis. The intended outcome of the UX-oriented assessment
activity is to form a prioritized, actionable backlog of user experience
opportunities to drive informed design and development decisions. Please
note, this UX-oriented assessment is an living, ongoing activity, and all
are welcome to contribute to these work products.

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Symphony_Contribution