Generally agreeing. So top posting.

The problem I see with LTS is that it leads to additional energy put on old
releases. In the past, the only choice was to upgrade. Or not, and wait for a
release with the blocking bug fixed (in case it prevented the upgrade). It kept
the development focusing on the next release.

Perhaps the first thing to implement is the possibility of fixes by patches so
that maintenance of former versions can be dealt without much energy. See the
OOo 3.3 issue with ODF documents: it could have been fixed by a mere patch I
guess (but I'm no developer).

What could be a good "marketing" move is to have a (not so) minor version
(before 4.0) that focuses on a bug fix major campaign. There are many popular bugs (with
many votes) still alive. Since the code has been partly cleaned during the IP clearance,
what about having a [new] look at all those bugs? I think that as users, we are more
concerned by existing bugs than waiting for new features. I recall for example the 65k
characters limit for paragraphs that is a show blocker for many lawyers in US (some of
their documents have to be a single paragraph it seems).
Once we start using AOO, a missing feature is hardly a show stopper (or in such
case, it's checked at a first and AOO is then removed immediately, there won't
be any feedback, the user won't bother to do it after a first installation).
But bugs are really obstacles to productivity and not working on them leads to
frustration for the users and demonstrates poor consideration for users.

Hagar

Le mer. 11 juil. 2012 13:51:01 CEST, Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com> a