Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
If I enter AA, I would expect it to be #0000AA, that is, zeros added at
the left.
AA ->  0000AA ->  RBG 0,0,170
but the color picker shows RGB 170,170,170  ...
Which should be the expected behaviour?

What I would expect is:

ABC -> AABBCC

This is the (unnatural for programmers, but popular) CSS shorthand hexadecimal notation used in web pages.

And with fewer than three digits, convert to grayscale:

AB -> ABABAB

A -> 0A -> 0A0A0A

With 4-5 digits, return an error.

But like your following examples show, this is highly subjective (even though the three-digit pattern seems rather consistent).

I think the proposal above makes sense because people used to handle hexadecimal color values are likely to use one hex value to mean a shade of grey or three hex digits for the shorthand hex notation.

Regards,
  Andrea.