KG01 - see comments inline.

On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:40 AM, "Mike Buzzard" <mik...@earth-focus.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would really like it if you could make Open Office's Toolbars better:
> better, even than any toolbars, ribbons, etc!

KG01 - Indeed. Over time, toolbars can begin to feel overloaded.

> I don't like Microsoft's Ribbon system!
>
> I have tried to follow your efforts to make Toolbars better, but not
> succeeded.

KG01 - What does "better" mean to you? No wrong answers here. I'm looking to
work on the toolbars in the next release and am gathering feedback.

> However, Corel (in CorelDraw, PhotoPaint) have had a system for over a
> decade which very nearly solves the problem.  Have a try with CorelDraw: the
> toolbar changes depending on what you are doing, so nearly all the commands
> available at any time are the ones on the toolbar that is showing.  It's so
> simple!

KG01 - Yes, CorelDRAW had contextual toolbars back in version 7. There were
common toolbars that persisted in the workspace, then toolbars that would
appear contextual to the selection. For example, selection text would evoke a
text properties toolbar. This is a pattern that AOO could explore to reduce
complexity, minimize toolbar icon overload and present commands that are
contextual to the selected element.

> It would be great if you could try to make it work with Open Office.

KG01 - We could use your help. Watch the UX wiki for more on this topic and
other UI enhancements.

> By the way, I have not put this idea forward before because I have not found
> a way of doing it - every way of commenting seems to be so complicated.

KG01 - Again, no wrong answers. What would be your ideal way to share product
ideas and feedback?