This is an excellent question. I can only say that other projects at Apache do
this - on example is Apache Tomcat. Tomcat currently supports three releases:

- 5.5.x which is EOL December of this year. [1]
- 6.0.x
- 7.0.x

Since Tomcat 5.5.x is a dependency of AOO 3.4.x we need to be aware of this in
our dependency discussion.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-55-eol.html