On 04/09/2012 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
There is a misunderstanding.
The module binfilter contains the needed code to import/export legacy
binary StarOffice file format in order to remove this code from the main
code base.
Module binflter is more or less a dead module, which hopefully can be
removed in some future major version.

There's an important detail not to miss in Oliver's message: we are talking about the StarOffice formats, not the OpenOffice formats.

In other words:
- obviously the current format (ODT, ODS, ODP...) will be supported
- the older OpenOffice 1.x format (SXW, SXC, SXI) will be supported
- the ancient StarOffice format (SDW, SDC, SDA) is the one being discussed here; if I recall correctly, it's the pre-2000 format used by StarOffice up to version 5, before the code was relicensed and OpenOffice started. OpenOffice already has a built-in document converter to convert these files to ODF.

Regards,
  Andrea.