Kay has started a page on the wiki to list possible areas where we can
improve the website:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30737243

One of the ideas concerned the little news stories that we put on the home page.

Since I think I'm the only one that has been maintaining this part of
the website, let me explain how it works today, and why that sucks.

When it comes time to add a new story I do the following:

1) Edit the home page via the CMS

1a) Add a new story at the top
1b) Remove the oldest story from the bottom and move it to another
file, news/index.html

(This is especially annoying because 1a and 1b are structured
differently, so it is not a simple cut & paste)

2) Send summaries of the news story out via Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc.

We could probably do better than this.  For example we could do all
news stories via our existing project blog.  That removes the need for
a page of archival news stories, since Roller provides that.  We could
retrieve and parse the RSS or Atom feed for the blog to populate the
home page.  And there are services to autopost things to Twitter,
etc., from a feed as well.

Or this could be done from the other direction. We could do all short
news items via Twitter and then just do a Twitter stream on the home
page.

Or we could have a feed XML that we check into SVN and display on home page.

These are all variations of "one feed to rule them all".  There are
several variations on this basic idea.

Perhaps this would be an interesting small project for someone in the community?