On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM, gail beale <gbe...@snet.net> wrote:
> I currently have open office version 3.4 on my laptop.  I have been notified
> that an upgrade is available and I attempted to download it.
>
> I received a warning that the upgrade was unsigned and could cause significant
> damage to my pc.   Naturally, I cancelled the update.
>
> Also, when initially loaded, it was not Apache Open Office.  Has there been a
> change in ownership?

Hello Gail,

The warning message you are seeing is probably coming from your web
browser, your operating system or from your desktop security software.
 It is telling you that the software is not signed and that you should
only install it if you trust where it came from.   If you downloaded
it from http://www.openoffice.org/download then you should be fine.

Version prior to 3.4 were called "OpenOffice.org".  3.4.0 and 3.4.1
and future versions are called "Apache OpenOffice".  This is due to
the changes that took place last year when Oracle donated OpenOffice
to Apache.  You can read more on that here:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/statements-on-openofficeorg-contribution-to-apache-nasdaq-orcl-1521400.htm