I've moved the download stats to its own page:
http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html

That allowed me to give a fuller description of what the stats are,
how they were gathered, etc.  I think we should aim for this level of
detail and transparency in any claims we make.

This move then allowed me to clean up the Stats home page a little,
and include links to other charts we have, as well as add a section
(with caveats) on 3rd party stats:   http://www.openoffice.org/stats/

If anyone has ideas for other relevant stats that might be interested,
I'd be interested in adding more.  I can help on the data wrangling
and charting side.    I'd love to have a regular chart on wiki and
forums traffic or edits or posts or whatever.  This doesn't need to be
totally automated.  For example, it could be something where someone
volunteers to run a monthly report and posts that new stat once a
month.