Hi,

Today my wife got her new Kindle which comes with a document viewer
based on Apache Freetype for the rendering job and Apache POI which is a
Java library to parse Microsoft documents.
It handles doc(x)/xls(x)/ppt(x) but no ODF. Although I am not deeply
involved in this project, I feel somewhat embarrassed and alarmed
because in the year 2012 the Apache foundation develops excellent tools
to process proprietary file formats but fails to offer anything
equivalent for the free and much simpler ODF standard.
Is my assumption correct that http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/
would be the remedy to solve that problem but due to a lack of
development resources it is not ready for the job?

Greetings,
Andreas Säger