@Rory,

I agree about Kindle.  A Kindle Fire has more functionality and all of the UI
capabilities one expects of an Android device, whereas the Kindle Readers have
a different, special-purpose application.

I see Rob has provided a comprehensive statement later on this thread.  I would
add that this is not a matter that requires particular support in ODF.
Implementations of ODF support clearly have discretion in this area, since
there is no specification of how presentation is handled for editing.

 - Dennis

OTHER EXPERIENCE

My smart phone has Adobe (Acrobat) Reader on it.

Acrobat Reader maintains layout fidelity but it is easy to zoom into the
full-page view and also move around on it.  I can rotate the phone, of course,
in order to have a wider view or a longer view.

For Word documents on my smartphone, there is less attention to formatting and
print layout and the material is "re-flowed".  If I rotate the phone, the
layout will be reflowed again to take advantage of the landscape or portrait
window.  There is no attempt to replicate page layout.

Also, my phone does not allow editing of Office documents that have features
the phone can't preserve.  (I have the option of opening the document, stored
on SkyDrive, via the browser on the phone, however.)

For Excel documents, there is more attention to layout preservation.  It is a
bit in-between the PDF and the Word cases.

I agree, tablets and slates will have more room for improved layout.  Since a
table may be able to connect to a printer, also, there would need to be a way
to see a print preview, even if print layout is challenging, depending on the
size of the tablet display.  A great deal will also depend on how much of the
work is done on the device and how much is in the cloud, depending on
connectivity and other provisions/options.

 - Dennis