On 01.11.2012 17:27, jan iversen wrote:
A brilliant idea, especially if I may copy some of your slides...

Sure.

I am still fumbling how the build works, and to be honest (NOT to criticize
anyone) I am not impressed.

That is a very friendly way to put it. I am still trying not to sound too negative in my talk and find that not being easy.

But I am currently preparing a slide about all the things that the build system has to handle:

    Languages: 20, soon maybe 30
    Platforms: Windows, Linux 32/64, MacOSX, FreeBSD OS/2, Solaris
    Package formats: archive, msi, deb, rpm, dmg
Products: OpenOffice, language packs, SDK (all regular and as developer build), URE

    several external libraries with their own build systems
    several programming languages to compile and link

    and it is doing all this for more than 15 years

So, it could be better but it could also be worse.
But criticizing is not something bad, it is the first step in making the system better.

Just one thing:

I do a "build --all", which comes back OK, then I do a second "build --all"
and to my surprise it generates a couple of libraries again..I assumed I
had missed an error, so I tried it a third time, same thing happened,
libraries was built.

In my opion (and according with normal makefile schemes) once it completes
without errors, it  should not build anything a second time.

You are right but and in most cases the reason for the repeated building will be badly written makefiles.
But there are some reasons why it is how it is:
- The dmake part of the build system does not have inter-module dependencies on file granularity. You either build a whole module or you don't. - File based inter-module dependencies take a lot of time to process. That was not possible 10 years back. Build sw today and you will experience a delay of a few seconds. That is the time it takes to ready the dependencies of only those modules that
      have already been converted to gbuild.

Again, you are right in your expectations. We are going in that direction, but slowly.

But putting that aside, I would be happy to focus on localization together
with jürgen, but if it is something you want to do it yourself thats ok
with me.

I will have my share of giving talks at ApacheCon (three talks). It would be great if you could cover FOSDEM.

-Andre

Jan.