> > The problem is caused not so much by running out of memory, but rather
> > no longer being able to obtain a single contiguous piece of memory
> > from the system that can contain the new string result.
>
> You can watch the memory usage while the program is executing by
> watching the Performance tab in the Task Manager.
>
> I have a 32-bit XP system and a 64-bit XP system both with 4 GB of
memory.

> On the 32-bit system, the peak commit charge never gets above 2 GB.
>
> But, on the 64-bit system, it actually uses up practically all memory.
>  It runs the page file size up to close to 8 GB (the limit I have it
> set at) and the available physical memory down to around 10 MB when it
> fails.  You can see the garbage collector in ooRexx kick in several
> times.

I suspect it takes a little while, then ... ?  :-)

Interesting the test program fails on the old VM interpreter, too, which
is a bit of a surprise (it never hangs on to more than 1KB or so).  I
thought  SYSGETM/FREEM were fixed at one point to avoid this very
problem...

Mike

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.