On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Mark Miesfeld <miesf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In working on the SysFileSearch bug, I tracked down what seems to be a
> case where the VS 2005 compiler produces wrong code and the VS 2008
> produces code that works.

Good thing I said "seems to be."

I was 100% wrong on this, it was not the compiler at all but the programmers.

ReadFile() takes a pointer to a 32-bit value to return actual count of
bytes read.  In the code clean up / move to 64-bit / conversion to the
new API, the variable was changed to a size_t.  In ReadFile() the
variable was cast as a pointer to a 32-bit variable.

Well, that's no good on 64-bit Windows. <grin>

Anyhow, sorry I blamed the compiler, it wasn't a compiler bug at all.