Ok, I have one more thing to try.  I'm starting to think this might be
a memory-management issue, not an I/O issue.  The buffer used for the
I/O is one of the few places in the ooRexx code where malloc() is used
to allocate memory.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this is the
first malloc request done by the interpreter.  I'm starting to wonder
if the overlay might be related to some sort of activity taking place
to manage the .exe program in the window, and there is some sort of
race condition that occurs with that memory when enter is pressed.
I've sent Mark a patch that changes the mechanism used to allocate
this buffer and we'll give it one more try.  If this fails, then I'm
am totally out of ideas.  We're running out of things to try changing.

Rick