I think I've fixed this!  A big thanks to Rony...his method for
reproducing this was 100% effective once Mark gave me the key to
getting it to work.  The problem only seemed to occur if our buffering
is turned off for stdin.  When buffering was turned off, I would
consistently see the bogus character when _read() was called for the
first line.  With buffering turned on, the _read() call would
generally retrieve up to the next complete line in one call and all of
the characters look good. Now comes the concrete test...seeing if this
works for Mike!

Rick