As far as I can recall there is an open promise to turn to implementing
the WSH/ActiveX functionality for the new ooRexx interpreters,
"sometimes after 4.0 goes GA".

The reasons given back then (why it did not get implemented for the
initial 4.0) were that no code from the 3.x line could be used due to
internal hacks that were necessary to implement the WSH functionality,
in addition to a principal problem of how to deal with script host
supplied objects.

A couple of months later there was some discussion about how one would
want to implement the "implicit variables" into ooRexx in a new
implementation. (Windows script hosts would be able to register objects
with the script language upfront, i.e. before invoking the script, such
that the invoked script has already access to OLE objects that were
supplied by their hosts. The same logic, BTW, was used when modelling
the Java script host facility, pointing at the MS-WSH implementation.)
One possibility would be to have an entry in the environment, e.g.
".host" which serves as a directory for script host supplied objects
without forcing these objects into the running script variable pool,
which would be necessary to allow backward compatibility with 3.x ooRexx
WSH applications.

Ad WSH per se: Windows Script Host has been a quite strategic technology
from Microsoft defined with their ActiveX interfaces. It allows Windows
(script host) programs among other things to embed ooRexx code into HTML
text and when the Internet Explorer loads such text, the ooRexx script
gets run/invoked by MSIE. Such ooRexx script could do whatever
JavaScript or on Windows VBS or all of the numerous Active* script
languages (like ActivePerl, etc.) allow for.

Also, in the past (with the WSH support available in 3.*) ooRexx
Microsoft's ASPs (Active Server Pages) could be created with ooRexx code
embedded rather than JS or VBS, something that ooRexx programmers used
as well, judging from the questions, requests that pop up from time to
time in various places.

And one of the most important features (besides WSF, Windows Script
File, an XML container of scripts that carry out jobs, with
inter-script/language interaction) is doubtlessly WSC, the Windows
Script Component. WSC allows for creating COM classes fully implemented
in ooRexx. Such ooRexx-COM-classes could then be used by any programming
language using the Windows COM infrastructure, in this case OLE. I know
of applications that take advantage of ooRexx-WSC classes (which also
means that those applications will remain restricted to ooRexx .3.x).

In my current classes, introducing students to OO programming, I have
been using ooRexx 3.2 to this day, because on Windows platforms the WSH
support is available for ooRexx, hoping/expecting that eventually the
ooRexx 4.x line will make WSH available as well.

It would be *very* disappointing, if WSH/ActiveX support was not
implemented for the Windows world, which would be obviously the case, if
you tag WSH-bugs as "outdated" and argument with the 3.x hacks that make
it impossible to carry over the code to the 4.0 line (which has always
been clear, hence the expectation/hope that a new WSH/ActiveX
implementation will eventually see the light of sun on ooRexx 4.x).

---

The follow-on class is using Java as a huge ooRexx function/class
library uses ooRexx 4.0.1. BSF4ooRexx, which enables camouflaging Java
as ooRexx (and sending Java objects ooRexx messages!) is not (yet)
realized as a JSR-223 implementation as long as host variables/objects
and how to incorporate them systematically into ooRexx has not been
decided upon and implemented by the developers. As mentioned above the
JSR-223 group "learned" from the WSH/ActiveX framework the nifty ability
to push host objects into the script space, which makes creating scripts
that interact with the host a breeze!

Or put into other words: to not tackle WSH/ActiveX does not solve the
principal problem of how to deal with script hosts trying to push their
objects into the scripts they invoke, such that the scripts can
immediately access/interact with these objects.

It is a general problem that would need a general solution (the earlier,
the better).

---rony