Hi Mark,

just a very brief/quick feedback, being on the run to a GSE-workshop in
Frankfurt taking the night train...

On 18.09.2010 21:08, Mark Miesfeld wrote:

... cut ...

> 2.)  The installation lets the user pick their own file associations,
> or not do any file associations at all.  In addition you can create
> file associations for rexxhide and rexxpaws, if you want.
>
> For each executable the user can specify the extension, the ftype, and
> the editor for the edit context menu.  The user can choose to create a
> file association or to not create a file association for each
> executable.
>
> There needs to be default values for the file associations and these
> are what I picked.  Speak up if you have any other ideas.
>
> Extension   ftype (File type)     Editor
> ===========================
> .rex            RexxScript            C:\Windows\system32\NotePad.exe

Woulde also associate in addition all other regular Rexx extensions like
".rexx", ".cls", ".orx", ".testGroup", ".testUnit", which all are in use
in the Rexx world.

> .rexg          RexxHide              C:\Wndows\system32\NotePad.exe

Would use ".rexh" for RexxHide, if creating an own filetype at all (see
below).

> .rexp          RexxPaws             C:\Wndows\system32\NotePad.exe
>
> If you can build from trunk or the 4.1.0 branch give it a try and let
> me know what you think.

... cut ...

Ad "RexxHide" vs. "RexxScript":

    Would give the user the (radio button) choice to pick either
    "RexxScript" (default) vs. "RexxHide" and allow him to change these
    associations well after the install (having a menu item pointing to
    this change-app). The only difference between both is whether Rexx
    programs started from the Explorer show the terminal window or not.
    This way no new file extension is needed and one can have all Rexx
    programs behave the same, if run from the explorer with a double-click.

Ad "RexxPaws":

    Running Rexx programs with "RexxPaws" is usually a use-case which is
    rarely chosen, except when in the need for getting an opportunity to
    look at the output to the terminal, if a Rexx program was started
    via the Explorer. Such a glimpse may be necessary, when debugging a
    Rexx program and becoming able to read the output, which may be an
    error message from the interpreter.
    As such any Rexx-program would be a candidate to be executed with
    "RexxPaws", hence I would not create an own file-extension, which
    would always execute the file with "RexxPaws". Although renaming a
    file is easy (for us at least, not so easy for regular Windows users
    whom no file-extension may be shown in the Explorer!), it is still a
    little bit cumbersome.
    Instead it would probably suffice, if a "SendTo"-entry got created
    that allows one to send any Rexx-file (independent of its extension)
    to "RexxPaws".

If you look at the current installation scripts for "BSF4ooRexx"
<http://wi.wu.ac.at/rgf/rexx/bsf4oorexx/current/> and you run the
"bsf4oorexx\install\setupBSF.rex" you will see the necessary
registry-files for the file-associations created, including the
definitions for the mimetype database on Windows, which is used by
practically any Windows program (like Web browsers and the like).

And if you look into "bsf4oorexx\install\orx2reg.rex" you will see how
to create an entry in the "SendTo" menu (where the BSF4ooRexx
installation on Windows actually places already the appropriate entry;
or with other words: if you install BSF4ooRexx on Windows you not only
get file-association, but the ability to send any Rexx program to
RexxPaws using the "SendTo" menu).

---

Ad Linux: if you want desktop integration on Linux, including
application menus, again the same advice to look-up the generated files
by the current installation procedures for BSF4ooRexx.

BTW: To figure out and test the necessary setup formats and places on
both, the Windows and Linux platforms did cost me literally weeks of
research and experimenting, such that the installation works on Windows
XP, Vista, W7 and various Linux distributions that adhere to the
freedestkop.org standards. So anyone of you who looks in these corners
for the installation purposes might save a lot of time by studying the
BSF4ooRexx installation scripts for Windows or Linux. Of course, if
there are any questions that I could answer, I would do so in this
mailing list (though I might be off-Internet for a couple of days).

---

Finally, as Erico Menoza mentioned in another thread back in August
(entitled "Mime-types"), the developer team should register the
agreed-upon Rexx filetypes at <http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl>.

HTH,

---rony