On 09.02.2011 12:02, Erico Mendonca wrote:

> <aanlktinwkojvd-z15hbvr-bc6ac55goluhv1g49d2...@mail.gmail.com>, Mark Miesfeld
> <miesf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Excellent Jean-Louis.  I forgot to methion DESTDIR.
>>
>> If you can build on a Mac and have copious free time, maybe you'd like
>> to tackle building an installable package?  <grin>
>>

> It appears the only "official" method for creating installers on the Mac is
> this one:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/PackageMakerUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html
>
> There is also a NullSoft installer port at: http://nsis.darwinports.com/
>
> But I haven't used any of those yet. I still need the "copious free time"
> part to do that :)

Although there are Apple GUI-based utilities the students have the task
to create the bundles "by hand", such that that process can be Makefile
controlled. The links you supply are great, because they lead one quite
directly to the spots where Apple talks about their file system
structures and what goes with what (though there is additional knowledge
needed).

The task for the students to make everything "batchable"  is to make the
creation of MacOSX bundles independent of any third party tools (even
from Apple), which will allow eventually everyone on a Mac to create the
bundles from the command line interface without a need to first delve
into whatever GUI-based tools there are and to learn their logic how to
operate the GUIs first (which may take precious time away).

Besides, in the end it is astonishing to see how little one needs to do,
if one knows what one does...
:)

As the students write up a seminar paper on the BSF4ooRexx installation
for MacOSX and a Bachelor thesis on BSF4ooRexx installers for Windows,
Linux and MacOSX (here including ooRexx with BSF4ooRexx itself), all
their research efforts and experiments should be available for anyone
who is interested in this area of development. (It will take a little
while though, before these are done.)

---rony