On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Jean-Louis Faucher
<jfaucher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/3/14 Rick McGuire <object.r...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Guard conditions nest.  So the guard off in the m1 method does not
>> completely remove the locking from that thread.  It only removes the
>> guarded condition caused by entry to that method, so the object is
>> still locked by that thread.
>>
> ah ! ok... I learned something, today :-)
> thanks.
>
> Just out of curiosity : when you designed the concurrency model of ooRexx,
> was it
> derived from something already existing ? I could see some analogies with
> Smalltalk for some features of ooRexx, but the management of locks per
> variable's pool seems quite unique to ooRexx...

The concurrency model was originally designed by Simon Nash, who
definitely used Smalltalk as a model for a lot of features.  The
locking mechanism was an outgrowth of the class scope of the variable
pools.  The variable pool-based locking isolated locking in the
subclasses from the locking mechanisms of the superclass.

Rick