Rick,

thank you very much for your helpful information!

On 23.01.2012 17:28, Rick McGuire wrote:

... cut ...

>> Can one rely on the RXTER exit handler be invoked immediately, when
>> terminating the Rexx-interpreter using the "context->Terminate();" to
>> terminate a Rexx interpreter instance ?
>> (This would allow me to resolve a long standing issue of callbacks from Java
>> to Rexx when the Rexx interpreter instance got terminated in the meantime.)
> No, the RXTER exit is called for Rexx program termination (the counter
> part to the RXINI exit).  A given instance may see multiple
> RXTER/RXINI calls during its life, and generally, since
> context->Terminate() will only work if there are no active threads,
> RXTER will NOT get called as a result of that action.

Looking at the description of RXINI (p.135, rxprog.pdf):

    "Initialization processing. This exit is called as the last step of Rexx
program initialization."

    subfunction RXINIEXT: "Initialization exit."
    "When called: Before the first instruction of the Rexx procedure is
interpreter."

and of RXTER

    "Termination processing."

    subfunction RXTEREXT: "Termination exit."
    "When called: After the last instruction of the Rexx procedure has been
interpreterd."

When would RXINI/RXTER called then, if also during the lifetime of a Rexx
interpreter instance ?

Do these exits also see other Rexx interpreter instances? Or could it be that
setting up and closing
routines and the like cause these exits to be called?

>> Would there be any foreseeable/expected problems if the exit handlers would
>> be implemented by Java (assuming that the forwarding from C++ to Java and
>> back is correctly implemented)?
> No forseeable problems...which does not mean there aren't any.
8)

Again, thank you very much, indeed!

---rony