David Ashley wrote:
> Ok, I am going to stick my neck WWAAAAAYY out and put my US 2 cents
> worth in for any one to flame who want to.

ROTFLOL!!!!!

> These four items are my pet peeves with the ANSI Rexx API Standard. If
> ever an API should have been redone a long time ago this one would be my
> top candidate.

Also comes to mind the ooRexx FTP class replacement for RxFTP that had a sharp
upgrade at some point along the way... API standard was broken, so programs
written to the class API had to be changed.

My application that uses mod_rexx is stuck running ooRexx 3.2 as that is the
end of the line thus far for mod_rexx.

> It is a terrible API and no one will ever convince me
> that the only reason it was adopted was because IBM created it and
> therefore it already existed, bad as it was.

That and now there are scads of DLL's circulating around written to the legacy
API, source code long since lost, never released, no possibility to update the
source.

> The real problem here is that no one has stood up and cried foul and
> even if they did there is no active Rexx community who would/could
> create/approve a new standard.

Agreed. For better / for worse.

Certainly the fragmentation of Rexx implementations only makes the situation
worse.

Comes to mind one person who presented at RexxLA 10'ish years ago had their own
implementation of Rexx that was floating point arthritic orientated instead of
mfc's Base 10 arthritic standard... just
as one example of deviation.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck