I ran into the problem today because of a small bug in a program I was
working on.  It appears we're not leaving enough stack space to be
able process the error message for this condition.  I ran into this on
a 64-bit Windows platform, so I think this might be a 64-bit problem.
Windows and *ix use different values for the minimum stack space and I
suspect we need to bump this value for the 64-bit builds.  It would be
useful if people could run the following program on as many platforms
as possible and report if the interpreter crashes:

call recurse

::routine recurse
  call recurse

Please update the bug report for any platforms where this crashes.

I'll be able to test this on a 32-bit Windows built as soon as I get a
new build finished on my other machine.  Note, this is not a trunk
issue, I was able to reproduce the problem on the 4.1 branch.