Erich,

I agree with René.  It is a complicated relationship, but I think Wikipedia is
clear:
"Darwin is an open-source Unix operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000.
It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from
NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.

Darwin forms the core set of components upon which OS X, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS
are based. It is mostly POSIX-compatible, but has never, by itself, been
certified as compatible with any version of POSIX. Starting with Leopard, OS X
has been certified as compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3
(SUSv3).”

So I think of MacOS as a layer on top of Darwin. Also to my knowledge ooRexx
isn’t using any of the MacOS frameworks, just the Darwin/UNIX ones.

Bruce