Not so much an OS issue as much as a filesystem issue.  Both Windows and MacOS
have, by default, a case insensitive, case preserving filesystem.  On MacOS you
can choose a filesystem that is case sensitive.

Your point is well taken, that examples/samples should be tested on case
sensitive file systems.

Bruce