When UNIX was originally released the default shell was /bin/sh, the Bourne
Shell written by Stephen Bourne.  Make that the only shell.  As new shells were
written and added to the system, if they were backward compatible, they would
end up having /bin/sh linked to them.  I would never expect /bin/sh to be
linked to a shell that wasn’t backwards compatible to Bourne shell, i.e.
/bin/sh —> /bin/csh.

For portability reasons, I think using /bin/sh everywhere would provide the
most portable programs, because you don’t assume greater functionality than the
Bourne Shell.  If you need some other shell, then you specify it, such as René
suggestion of the shell subcommand.

I think that most standards are that way too, POSIX, UNIX, etc.

My $0.02 worth.

Bruce