Hi Chip,

On 04.09.2018 21:55, Chip Davis wrote:
> I would like to think that
>       ADDRESS [ env | SYSTEM | ENVIRONMENT ] ... cmd
> would be a trivial and non-controversial enhancement to aid cross-platform
> Rexx code.  I've never
> been wild about the null string being a default for anything.  (I have a
> faint memory that once
> two Address'ed environments were set up, one could toggle from one to the
> other with simply
> 'Address'.  I find that reprehensible coding and would never have used it, so
> perhaps that is a
> false memory in the first place.)
Thanks!

On 2018-04-13 Erich suggested a "multi return" ability for ooRexx (1) with
comments in (2), (3),
(4). Rick started work, experiments in the sandbox on "multiReturn" and finally
removed that sandbox
item (5) on 2018-08-10 stating "delete sandbox version of idea that did not pan
out", with an
exchange in (6) and (7), causing the PARSE ARRAY idea in (8).

The idea as expressed in RFE 718 (9) is based on the existing PARSE keyword
statement which allows
for assigning (parsed) parts of a string to different variables in one
statement. Extending this
idea and applying it on array objects, which have become to be the most
important and mostly used
collection type in ooRexx, especially 5.0beta, yielded the RFE.

It would allow for assigning the content of an array to multiple variables in
one statement as is a
feature of the Rexx PARSE keyword statement, adjusting for ooRexx array objects
and semantics (like
using .nil not an empty string if referring to a non existent item as ooRexx
users would expect etc.).

One application of this would allow conceptually to implement the multi return
idea, if an array
gets returned that will be parsed according to the template and assigned to the
variables in the
template in one single statement.

---rony

(1) https://sourceforge.net/p/oorexx/mailman/message/36292736/