I’m more of a MacPorts kind of guy, and I’ve used fink in the past.  It would
be nice if we could support more of the Mac OS specific package managers.

> On Nov 21, 2018, at 7:07 AM, René Jansen <rvjan...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> I agree.
>
> Want to add to the discussion: homebrew (brew) has a ‘brew services’ command
> that can install a service on macOS without requiring sudo.

I imagine that it installs a user owned service. It just needs to point to the
plist file, and place the PID file in a writeable position. I don’t know if
this would make it fully multi user compatible. Or it could be using a setuid
on ‘brew’ to accomplish the same thing as sudo.

> A portable ‘installer’ (drag an application icon from a .dmg to
> ~/Applications) would be a good thing. A ‘brew install oorexx’ would be a
> good thing - brew manages dependencies (we don’t have a lot but Curses comes
> to mind) and enables one to choose the location brew installs everything to
> on a user base - and enables build-from-source installs. At least it already
> offers sudo-less integration with launchctl.

Dragging it from a disk image, and allowing it to execute from anywhere is a
very Mac kind of thing to do.  Of course it would be nice if RexxLA would sign
up for Apple Developer so that we could digitally sign the installs.

Bruce